Unexpected Pros and Cons

I never expected myself to be where I am today and have experienced all the things I have so far in my twenty-one years on earth.

I have been told that I seem wise beyond my years or that I have an old soul. I actually do not agree with this at all. Why? I was forced to grow up and forced to feel and experience things that many people my age have never had. Or, if they have, their outlook is totally different.

I can tell you my truth of the things I have been through and that truth is only true for me and may not be true for you, so keep that in mind.

With all that being said, I want to tell you where I thought I would be and why I'm so glad I'm where I am now instead.

When I was little, I wanted to be a vet to only dogs because I didn't like cats. I thought I would go to school with all my friends and then go to the high school up the road from me. I thought the dogs I had would be with me for a long time. I thought that you were old when you were in your twenties.

Today, I really love all furry things but dogs and cats are my favorite. I'm so glad that I didn't graduate from high school and I got my GED instead. I'm so glad that I got to be around so many more dogs in my household. I know that you don't really get old, just your body does.

So what changed everything? Well, my JRA did. When I was first diagnosed I would not walk and I would refuse to go to school. This caused a lot of conflict with my parents and myself. I didn't understand why I had to get up and go to school. They didn't understand why I had such a hard time waking up and feeling so awful when I did get to school. Eventually, we learned. It was rough and scary at times but we did it.

My JRA made not just me, but my whole family realize that our normal would be much different than most other families. It was not what my parents expected and I had no idea what I expected.

I had a really hard time up until I was eighteen realizing that my normal will always be different. I had a very hard time accepting that JRA was part of what shaped me and sometimes I still struggle with this fact, too.

I still get upset about feeling stiff or uncomfortable. I still get annoyed that going to a movie theater is a lot of work for me because sitting in those chairs for so long hurt me. I still get really cranky when I don't get eight or more hours of sleep purely because my body needs it.

But, I have also learned many of the cool things that my body can do. I can tell when it's going to snow. I enjoy going a little slower because it doesn't mean I have to rush. I am okay with minor bursts of energy because one of my favorite feelings in the world is laying in a comfy bed with a dog.

There are pros and cons to so many things in life, not just my life with JRA.

Today, I am not pain free like I hoped I would be one day. But, I'm a lot better than I was many years ago. I can look at the positive so easily now when it comes to things now.

That's it for now,
Leah

Comments