Journey of School

When I was young, only a few years into my diagnosis and still figuring out what was best for me, I eventually assumed I wouldn't end up going off to college. This assumption became more and more real for me. I remember my mom talking about someone she knew who had a daughter who didn't stick with her medicines once she left for school. I remember my mom telling me how important my medicines were for me to take and never to miss a dose. I remember learning each drug name, what it was for, and when I took it. I remember the shape of the pill and the color, I still can remember the first pill I ever had to swallow.

Tomorrow, January 11th, I will be changing that assumption my young self had well into recent years. I will be going off to college. I will be living in the dorms and I will be taking fourteen credit hours.

I remember in high school, my mom said "You know the Arthritis Foundation has a scholarship program. You should apply." I grew angry at the thought. I didn't feel I was 'bad enough' to get a scholarship and others deserved it way more than I did. I thought it was stupid to be judged on how arthritis impacted my life because it was the only thing I knew, so, what did I have to compare it to? I felt offended and annoyed at the thought of getting money for having Arthritis.

I still feel uncomfortable with the word 'disabled' because I am not. At least, in my eyes. I might be to your average twenty-two year old.

It is almost six in the morning and I have not slept at all because I haven't had many 'good years' or even 'good months' in a very long time. My anxiety runs deep through my mind, racing faster and faster as the time moves so slow.

One thing I am good at is setting my mind to something and being determined enough to get it. I have done this forever and I imagine I will until I'm not longer a being. But, the bad thing is, if I don't want it enough or before, when my anxiety and depression ruled my life, I could convince myself I wanted something that was nothing I needed or something unreasonable because I was afraid.

I registered for college a week before classes started and I had little to no excitement until the day before. I sat up late, worrying, like I have done every time I have a day before something big or exciting. I organized each class and laid out everything. I got more and more into school as the semester went out. I learned what didn't work for me and what did work. I learned each semester and this past fall, I made B's and above in my classes. Something I have not done since I was in middle  school.

I hadn't made wonderful grades before because of my health. I understood my materials and when I was actually in class and able to work, I did wonderful. However, you can't learn very well off handouts and tidbits of classroom time.

High school was worse with this.

Eventually, I dropped out the winter break of my junior year. Now, I want to clarify that this was not due to my arthritis at this time. It was under some control, but, I had chronic appendicitis for over two years (yes you read that right). Finally, I got it removed and my stomach issues went away.

After dropping out, I got my GED in April of 2013 (I had dropped out that January). I had endured a lot of terrible things in the year of 2013. But, the one amazing thing was, I passed my GED tests. I remember getting my results and smiling, huge. I had done something wonderful!

Eventually, I figured I should go to college. All my friends were the next year and I was only seventeen at the time so I could get a head start. I enrolled in the local community college and took a few classes that following Fall. I started to have issues with my tonsils and then I learned my family was moving from Colorado to New Mexico.

I hadn't thought about school after the move in January of 2014 for a while. I tried to figure out what I wanted and I tried various jobs, moved out even, and eventually came home to land myself in school.

It wasn't my idea to go back to school right away. I agreed because it was my therapists idea and I figured I should. I got more and more excited as the time went by.

Now, I have done three whole semesters and one summer semester of school at one of the University of New Mexico's branch campuses. I also decided, about a year ago, that I wanted to be a high school teacher.

I tell people this and they say "it takes a special kind of person" and I also get worried faces of "How can you get up early enough for that?"

I have many issues with sleep, getting up before noon is only one of them. But that's another post for another time.

But I did it. With all of my strange problems, all of my bad days and good, I did it. I never thought I would simply because of my diagnosis which is silly now. I also find it silly that my original thought on the Arthritis Foundation scholarship was so negative. Today, I plan on applying to it and I find all of the foundation's support amazing and useful.

Thanks for reading,
Leah

Comments

  1. You are an inspiration for others, Leah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah, sharing your story is going to help people who have chronic pain and conditions. I hope your story enlightens people who do not have these challenges. Many times your father and I listened to other parents who were excited by their child's achievements. For example, "Amy made first chair in band! Scott got a baseball scholarship!"
    I never wanted to take away their joy by saying how proud I was of you, "Leah walked today! Leah went to school today!"
    I never worried about your future. You always find your way and always will. I am always amazed by you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment